Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tribute to Prof.Tone Brulin

30 years is a long time to meet your lecturer again. Yet, thats what happened in the past 2 weeks. Yes the great Prof.Tone Brulin who iniated Angkasaran (Angkatan Sasaran) of Universiti Sains Malaysia more than 30 yrs ago is in KL. To all early batches of students of School of Drama and Performing Arts USM Tone Brulin is 'the lecturer/the proffessor'. The best, most coveted, most dedicated, etc.etc. But it was sad to know that he was in hospital during the staging of "Roh Anai-Anai in Panggung Lambang Sari 2 weeks ago. 'Pudi' aka Mdm.Fauziah Abd.Rahman his wife was thrilled to see me after the first show and told me how Tone was hospitalised. He fell from a very low bed in their house in Ulu Langat and fractured his hip days after the Hari Raya.

Almost everyday I visited him in Ampang Puteri after that. Yes, interviewing them at the same time. Tone was clearly depressed but happy when I visited him as except for Pudi who was with him in hospital no one else went to see him. EverydayI sent sms to old friends and people who knew him and few went to visit him plus a big group of UITM students involved in production of Roh Anai-Anai. Tq to all. Today I dropped in at noon to see them off who should be in KLIA by now as their flight to Brussels will be leaving at 11.00 tonight.

Who is Prof.Tone Brulin? To serious theatre people who reads TDR (Theatre and Drama Review Journal) etc. Tone Brulin is an exceptionally brilliant creative drama lecturer from Belgium. At the age of 26 he was awarded The Order of Leopold II of Belgium for his participation and works in drama and theatre. And the past 30 years, they went to perform all over the world touring with their group called Theatre of the 3rd World. I could write for pages of his works but most important thing to say was UNESCO produced a book on him recently called An Emotional Theatre Life in Flemish. Tone, you really deserved the tribute. Especially after numerous drama and theatre performances all over Europe, South America, Africa, Asia and USA and introducing third world countries folklores and tales and stories (including from Malaysia), you are the master story-teller. Well, I'll write more about you in my reviews and interviews both in Bahasa Malaysia and English as you asked me and will send it to theatre journals overseas as well. You are my 'guru' - the one who taught me to be dedicated, to be the best, to give your best and never to compromise with anything but the best!! Maybe I didnt do much in theatre works like you and Pudi, but I write reviews and very happy to know at seminars and talks etc theatre and films students talked about what I said without even knowing me. Just perfect. Thats the way I like it!!

Bon Voyage to Tone and Pudi and safe journey. May God bless you all and hope to see you again sometimes next year.

0 comments: